year in review

January 1, 2011


This year I: gained a sister, along with about 10 lbs, and an entirely new perspective on the world as I spent time living in rural Uganda (all those jipatis, man, they catch up with your wasitband). Moved 5 times. Graduated with a bachelor's degree in journalism, with an emphasis in print. Did a 6 month stint of therapy that turned my life, and heart, around. Started my own business working to create a fund to help women with AIDS in Uganda. Bought my first convertible. Carved snow in Tahoe, without falling. Added Dubai to my list of visited countries. Ate boiled cow intestine. Woke up to a rooster on my bed, and ate him that night. Chopped all my hair off and became a brunette. Quit eating ice cream, and discovered a certain affinity for mochi.

Learned that it's okay to be in the middle sometimes. Learned how to say no. Learned how to laugh at myself. Cried, and laughed so hard I cried.

This year I have plans to: bungee over the Nile for the second time. add Zambia to my list of countries, and spend three months in Uganda. run a 1/2 marathon for the first time. invest in a sustainable project in Uganda that leaves lasting effects, as I decide where to go with my life next. freelance. get myself some dreads. 

But, in all of this, 

Without a doubt, these are my very, very favorite people. 

Happy New Year!


Knox Family 2010 in Review from Shanley Knox on Vimeo.

0 comments: