Thurman, Ghandi and Remembering What I'm Doing Here

January 13, 2011


I know I've been MIA, this past week. A few excuses include a sudden road trip to Los Angeles, my best friend's 21st birthday, a whole lot of social media contracting work and an article I was on deadline with, along with some exciting developments for The Nakate Project.

First, I spent Monday in downtown Los Angeles with an old friend, finishing up a freelance article, and then meeting with Antonio Esteb├ín, who has put together a team of incredibly talented designers, photographers and artists to help highlight our project. 

Excuse #2 involves a phone meeting with Troy and Aimee Grover this week, to discuss a shoot with a more feminine approach to our necklaces. 

#3 is that our website is finally in progress, and soon to be finished through Micah, from Alt Coast, who has not only been fun to work with, she's been incredibly quick to respond, easy to dialogue with and ready to run with whatever ideas I send her way.

We're also en route to a media campaign on several of my favorite blogs, as well as a feature on my work with Nakate in the Auburn Journal, and collaboration with the continuously helpful Mike Handy.

All that to say, I've been on the run, without much thought to the direction. I just know that at least I've been going somewhere.

I don't like that.

In the midst of registering for her next workshop, I stumbled across something on Rosetta Thurman's blog, this morning, that brought me back to a few things I want to remember as I run around like a chicken with my head cut off.

I want to remember that my work is about relationships.
I want to remember that what I do, I do for people.
I want to remember not to get so caught up in getting work, that I forget to focus on projects I'm passionate about.

Thurman referred to Henrik Edberg, the man behind the Positivity Blog, and a post he wrote a few years ago about how to practically change the world through Ghandi's top ten principles. Among them were changing yourself, taking care of this moment and recognizing that everyone is human.

I think I need all ten of them on my bathroom mirror (and maybe my dashboard too).

Read the rest of them here.
Sign up for Thurman's latest workshop here.

photo via this tumblr.

0 comments: