my birthday wish

January 9, 2011

I don't have to tell you that social media has developed into something entirely different over the past two years.

But what I can tell you, is how it's changed things for me.

Last year, I was able to raise over $500 in profits for Three Angels Children's Relief, an orphanage working to move children off the streets of Port-au-Prince, and into families waiting to give them new lives.


I found faith again at The Garden because of someone I met on Twitter who I had coffee with two months later, who then told me about a website about a church that meets in a club in downtown Long Beach, and works to help the homeless. 

I went to Haiti for the first time because of a slideshow of photos I watched that led to a google search, an instant message conversation, and an addiction to this blog


Twitter has given me the ability to meet and collaborate with people like Jeremy Littau, Jeremy Anderson, Jasmine Hunter and Amanda Serfozo.

After elections, I was able to chat with Washington Post reporters and ask questions about what new legislation meant - with instant answers, from the world's best journalists.

It was Jeremy Littau, who I met on twitter, that encouraged me to keep writing in a way that was true to myself, after I returned from Africa.

It was Jasmine, whose blog I sponsored last year, that convinced me to start therapy, and did a bit of her own work on Tuesday nights, sitting and stuffing her face with me in Belmont Shore and talking about how "normal" really isn't so normal after all.

It was a friend of a friend who read my blog last year and bought my plane ticket home to see my sister.

Now, I'm trying to move to Africa, and I'm hoping social media will change my life again.

I'm turning 22 in a week. Last night was my birthday party.

I'm asking for help buying my plane ticket here.

0 comments: