Haiti, almost a year later

October 31, 2010

I think that, when something like the crisis in Haiti hits - everyone feels a sense of urgency to help. Perhaps, even, six months later some of us will still be talking about it.

But it's almost been a year, and I think most of us have lost the sense of urgency - the sense of responsibility. But if Africa taught me anything, it's that change is over the long haul, and that a year is, really, about the right amount of time to see the repercussions of a disaster, not the solutions to it.

A few weeks ago, I was chatting online with a Haitian friend of mine who told me that, "It's crazy here. Just crazy." When I asked if anything had improved he said, "It's just crazy."

That was pre Cholera.

I've been following updates. The one that struck me between the eyes was WHO's prediction that Haiti would be feeling the effects of Cholera for years to come.

Long after the tweets stop, and Haiti becomes a little less chic, it will be "crazy" in Haiti. Now, not only from the repercussions of the earthquake - but the repercussions of those repercussions, such as Cholera.

My vote goes to the organizations and individuals in it for the long haul - the ones that plan to be in Haiti, and stay in Haiti, in order to enable the Haitian people to get back on their feet and begin helping themselves.

This week, I'll be focusing updates and details from those kinds of organizations.

#1 - Three Angels Children's Relief - the first orphanage to get their children out of Haiti and into homes waiting in the US post quake.

Since the quake, 3A's has begun focusing on helping those left in Haiti to sustain their families, and get their lives back on track. Starting with microfinance projects but culminating into handing out medication, food and Oral Re-Hydration Solution, among other things.

I find that Three Angels is moving with the crisis - adapting to the needs of the people, as they go.

I find that they are able to show results for their work, and that they are committed for the long haul.

Below is a quick cache of their work in Haiti.

Follow them here.

0 comments: