Morris, me and the beauty in African women

August 8, 2010

Morris has been irreplaceable to me - translating, bartering, striking model poses while holding my bag and carrying my camera when I need my notebook and my notebook when I need my camera.

True confessions, I made him kill not one, but two, very large roaches in the loo this week before I used it. Last night, when I walked in to do my usual thorough examination, he was already laughing from across the schoolyard when I leaned out and gave him the, "come and get the roach please" smile.

But, far more than being a translating, camera carrying roach killer, he's been an ear, and a voice of understanding. 


This week, it was listening to me talk, over and over again, about the beauty in African women.

It was a quick whisper, this morning. "They're just so beautiful. I want to be one when I grow up." He nudged me and laughed. "Ai, but you have to stay a Mzungu!"

It is the strength in them that I'd like to take home with me - the strength in arms that have harvested crops for years, eyes that have watched hungry children, legs that have carried jerry cans - back and forth - since they were small.

Years of hard decisions, many of them based on survival, create stories that break me, challenge me, move me.


I hope they're moving you, too.

2 comments:

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

You wrote: "Years of hard decisions, many of them based on survival, create stories that break me, challenge me, move me."
Yes, yes indeed.

angela said...

oh how they are.