Stop #1: Dubai

July 18, 2010

Dubai, UAE


Please do note the change in blog name - "Thoughts from S." is, without warning, "Voye'm" - Haitian Creole for "Send me." I wanted it changed for the trip, but didn't get it done until a friend volunteered to do the work while I was en route to San Francisco - thanks Gina!

Header via the incredibly talented 26pm

Terribly uneventful weekend, so a self portrait from the hotel is about as good as it's going to get. Currently sitting in the airport discussing toilets with about five other people planning to do non profit work outside Kampala over the next few weeks. It was comforting, in a weird kind of tragic way, to open the toilet door and see a hole in the floor. Oh, traveling...

Like the savvy traveler that I am, I spent my15 hour flight mostly passed out on Dramamine. When that wore off, I had a glass of 2007 Shiraz, and went back to sleep. I slept most of the way to the North Pole. I woke up in a half daze about the time we started flying over chunks of ice and snow. My face was glued to the window, freaking out inside, until the flight attendant made me close my shade. At which point (you guessed it) I slept again.

But seriously, the NORTH POLE!?

I spent the night in the Millenium, United Emirates' hotel, reading, sleeping and reading alternately. I showered twice, because I was that bored - and because the hotel charged me to use the internet, and the microwave in my room. I used neither, and figured I'd use as much hot water as possible as my declaration of frustration.

I don't think anyone noticed, or was bothered, unfortunately.


Today, however, my weekend improved because I met the Jimmy Neutron Look Alike Security Guard with a British Accent and a Slight Lisp:

Me: "So, do I need to take my lap top out of my bag?"
Jimmy Neutron Look Alike Security Guard with a British Accent and a Slight Lisp: "Well, just leave it in and see if anyone notices."
Me: "Really?"
Jimmy Neutron Look Alike Security Guard with a British Accent and a Slight Lisp: "Yeah, let's just try it. See if they say anything."
Me: "Ok, do I have to take my shoes off?"
Jimmy Neutron Look Alike Security Guard with a British Accent and a Slight Lisp: "Just leave them on and see if anyone notices."

After no one noticed either my shoes or my lap top, I looked back and gave him a wink.

Perfect.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I am so living vicariously through you right now.

Kelly

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

Sending warm thoughts to you on this journey. We are with you.

angela said...

aa little disconcerting that jimmy was right and that no one noticed . . .

a night in dubai and seeing the north pole don't qualify as "terribly uneventful" in my book. but what do i know? i went to azuza for the weekend.