if I die young

June 25, 2010

Boy and I took a road trip before he left for Afghanistan. We stopped for gas and a smoking break somewhere at a gas station off the 5, between Bakersfield and Gault.

As we started up my Miata, on our third Monster and Double shots, respectively, I flipped through the radio till I found a Tim McGraw song.

I grinned at the boy who I knew would have rather listened to Tool, or a Perfect Circle.

"I guess I could find a country station anywhere, huh?"

He glanced over at me, in the dark.

"I guess you could. It's part of you being a redneck."

We all know how much my heart loves most anything that falls anywhere near true bluegrass, but I love this new song by The Band Perry, in particular, for two reasons. 1. It's beautiful. 2. Something about it really meets me where I am.

I looked in the mirror last night - one of those good hard, long looks that aren't about your face or your hair, but about your heart. And, as I was looking, and thinking about me, and who I am, and where I have come from, I realized that I'm satisfied with myself. I like who I have been, the things I've done, and the ways I have used my time. Kimberly Perry said that that kind of feeling was her inspiration behind writing  this song. She was thinking of her life, and realizing that if she had to die today, she would be satisfied.

I hope you feel the same way. 



"So put on your best boys, and I'll wear my pearls/what i never did is done/a penny for my thoughts oh no i'll sell em for a dollar/theyre worth so much more after i'm a gonner/and maybe then you'll hear the words that i've been singin'" - The Band Perry

3 comments:

m.a.f said...

man i like you. you can write and you're such a good person. holy moly, and you're always making me think. so thank you for that.

Perfect Girl said...

What a great video and great post. Really pretty.

Have a great day.

communikate. said...

you're going to africa? man. i'm jealous to say the least!
enjoy!