things going right

May 21, 2010


Yesterday, my dear friend Gina sent me the above.

She and I have an uncommon relationsip - the kind that teaches you to "laugh with those who laugh, and weep with those who weep."

She rejoices in my triumphs, feels my heart aches - and I her's.

She sent it when things didn't feel right, but I knew that what she said was true. I was folding laundry, and her message set off a bout of self therapy - "Things are right, they are going as they should - I don't see the future. I don't know how this will turn out." As I finished the underwear and moved on to socks I knew that Andreas' words had sunk deep into my heart. I had begun to believe that, at some point, one has to decide to believe that the wrongs are setting something right, and that life is not based on how wrong we feel things are, or the injustice we see in a situation.

I would like to believe in things I don't always feel, and can't often see.

Yesterday, a profesor said it in this way - "Emotions are like children. Take them along with you in the car, and listen to them scream, yell, fight, say they're hungry and smell like dog breath. But for God's sake, don't let them drive."

A few hours later, and a phonecall set some unravled ends in my life to rest. It restored broken things, and reminded me that we are never to a point of no return.

I'm not sure what excited me more - things being right, or the knowledge that I was living in joy when they weren't.

I'd like to say that I am thankful for the times when we do see things set right - for the people with courage enough to change patterns of destruction, for the prayers we watch get answered and for conversations that incite forgiveness.

These kinds of situations are uncommon, and worth noting.

Accordingly, Gina and I would like to throw up three cheers for the days that set things right, for tears turned to laughter - and for the people who love enough to walk through both with you.

2 comments:

Taylor K said...

I live in Phoenix (it's awful) but I grew up in Long Beach! I'm moving back in January and I'm SO excited. We'll have to get together! Nope, I have never been told I look like pink! I usually get Anna Nicole Smith or 'that girl from the dixie chicks.' :)

Shanley said...

that makes sense too - also did you know "that girl from the dixie chicks" came out with a duo album!? I'm so freaking excited!