The Battle Against AIDS Is Failing

May 12, 2010

Dinavance Kamukama, 28, front right, with her cousins in Kampala, Uganda. She is on a waiting list for AIDS medication. Tyler Hicks/The New York Times.

"Uganda is the most obvious example of how the global war on AIDS is falling apart. It is the first country where major clinics turn large numbers of sick people away. In Kampala, there is a waiting list for antiretroviral drugs. Slots become available when a current patient dies." -Donald G. McNeil Jr.


After leaving community college to spend some time at an (unnamed) private school I left after realizing they were going to continue to make me take out my nose ring every morning for classes, I returned to community college to finish my gen ed.

A few weeks into the semester, in my social problems class, the boy in the front row said, "I don't get it. Why can't poor people overseas just stop having sex?"

He was sitting beside his fiance. Holding her hand.

I, being the gem I am, asked him, "Oh, howbout if you run out of money to buy birth control, someone tells YOU to stop having sex!?"

He mumbled something about being an American, and I shot him daggers with my eyes. Our prof moved on, but our conversation stayed with me.

I think we've been ignoring AIDS for a while. No, based on recent information, I know we have been. Obama's new plan for tackling disease internationally is to focus on less expensive diseases. Beings that Uganda is one of the countries to get patients on medication the fastest, it's the first to begin having trouble.

Donate to Align Ministries' work in Uganda here.
I can vouch for 100% of your donation going to people in need.

2 comments:

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

Thank you for posting this. Awareness is one of the first steps.

angela said...

oh Heaven. no, really. i can't wait for Heaven. for no AIDS and no fighting to live and no ignorance.

this post is sad on so many levels. i'm sorry. but i'm thrilled you're going, sister. pray with and over each person you meet. tell them about Jesus who will save them. He hears their cry. He loves them and cherishes them. let them know, shan.