#9: Jess

May 18, 2010

Name: Jess Busch

Occupation: Graduate Student and Research Assistant in Auburn University’s Department of Horticulture.

If we were to ask those around you, what role would they say you most often play in the lives of others?
I asked fellow graduate students here in the office and they said I am the irritator, the mean person who laughs at them, jerer (“like jeweler, but not”), gossip, aggravator, and the person who makes amazing brownies but doesn’t bring them into the office nearly as much as I should…

What is your unique place in your family?
I’m the middle child: #4 of 6. I’m the adventurous child, the energetic one, loud one, creative one. The clutz, the one who does things differently (red carpet in the bedroom? growing out bangs? wearing those colors together? wanting to move and live overseas? running at night? crazy!), the only child who loves dirty-ish things likes backpacking or finger-painting or finding worms and then fishing with them, the one who sees good in everything, the one who played Legos with her brothers and Barbies with her sister even though she much preferred the Legos any day.

Hardest trial you faced, and ways it has made you stronger:
I’ve experienced a variety of trials in my life (major concussion, apartment flooded, family issues, deaths of friends/peers), each of which was hard because of my lack of trust in the Sovereign Lord and the selfishness of my own heart. These trials definitely forced me to look beyond myself and my circumstances and draw closer to God for truth and strength and guidance and peace – a good thing, indeed.

Your definition of beauty:
Beauty is found in things that are real and genuine, in looking for and dwelling on the good, in selflessness and serving others, in realizing outward appearances fade but inward characteristics remain and therefore putting more focus on that which lasts, in finding significance in Christ and living to please Him alone, regardless of what the world does.

Accomplishment you're most pleased with:
God has given me the ability to live within my means; I have been financially independent for ten years now (since I was 18 years old) and only have a little debt from college tuition. For everything else, if I don’t have money for it, I don’t buy it. It’s been freeing to not get caught up in material possessions and humbling to know everything I have has been from the Lord. He truly provides everything I need (never went without food or clothes), “need” (I was able to buy two cars, one of which was to replace the other after it was hit by a deer!) and even things I want (like a week long trip to Ireland!). Praise Him!

Next feat(s) you're tackling: learning how to swim; growing vegetables vertically, suspended on a wall; training for a half-marathon and then hopefully a whole; trying to find a hammered dulcimer for my very own.

Dream job:
It’s not really a job, but a lifestyle: I would simply adore living overseas in an under-developed country, being self-sufficient by living in a little shack, having a garden and orchard for food, a goat for milk, and a cow and chickens for meat. Days would be spent helping the townfolk grow their own food more efficiently, learning the ladies’ handiwork and leading a Bible study with them, playing soccer with the kids. Nights would be spent swinging in my hammock reading, sketching, listening to the bugs.

Favorite food: Ice cream! and bananas. But not together.

Three (four) things that make you terribly happy: talking about Jesus, being outside, good music, enjoying life

Best advice you've ever received: “Follow Me.” From the Lord Jesus Christ.

Favorite quote:
“There is a joy in the journey. There’s a Light we can love on the way. There is a wonder and wildness to life and freedom for those who obey,” by Michael Card. Also, “Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want but the realization of what you already have.”

Favorite picture of yourself:


Book You're currently reading: Daniel, Hebrews, and Psalms; “A Hole in our Gospel” by Richard Sterns

2 comments:

angela said...

aha! so THIS is why i need to meet jess and why you love her so. it makes perfect sense!

CG said...

Where do you find these women, Shan? Fabulous! Please bring them all to TX, along with yourself.