#7: Carsen

May 13, 2010

Name: Carsen Gray

Occupation: Student and hostess at a roadhouse in town.

If we were to ask those around you, what role would they say you most often play in the lives of others? What is your unique place in your family?
When thinking about my place in this world and in my family, what comes to mind is a disheveled director or conductor running around waving his conducting baton about or throwing scripts into the air, because it’s just not right. I’m bossy, opinionated, and terribly unorganized. But I am also creative, inspiring, and challenging. I see people in their full potential and get a little bit mean when I think they’re not living up to that potential. More often than not, my role in the lives of others involves some stirring of the pot. I’m not afraid to ask tough questions, tell the blatant truth, or push those I love to something greater.

Hardest trial you faced, and ways it has made you stronger:

The hardest trials we face are the ones with ourselves. I was riding the moving sidewalk of life with a boy that I thought I loved and realized that it was headed in a direction I didn’t want to go. I let go of his hand and turned around to face all the people riding the same path as me and became aware of the fact that I needed to get off. Gracelessly, I ran like hell in the opposite direction, knocking plenty of people down along the way. The road kept pulling me in the direction I didn’t want to go and so I had to fight for what I wanted. It was exhausting and painful and full of times of sitting on the conveyor belt, just letting it take me anywhere for a bit. But I always got back up and kept running until I was no longer on that moving sidewalk. I learned that getting off those sorts of “predestined paths” isn’t easy, but it’s definitely worth it. It seems like I’ve chosen to take the stairs instead, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.  


Your definition of beauty:
Beauty encompasses the things that put one at ease. A woman is at her best when she’s content and relaxed and you can just ease into her heart. We can’t ignore the beauty that takes our breath away, but sometimes we forget to notice the everyday beauty that simply lets us breathe.

Accomplishment you're most pleased with:

I haven’t accomplished anything in comparison to what I would like to accomplish. (Editor's note: Carsen and I met in Haiti, when she was working a 7 mo. stint as a medical assistant in an orphanage of about 30 children. Don't let the humble exterior fool you).

Next feat you're tackling:

Nursing school, then graduate school. I day dream about graduating college more than my wedding day.

Dream job:
I want to do emergency medicine and flight nursing. The thought of jumping out of a helicopter to administer rescue medicine just makes me tingly all over. Then I suppose I’ll join a private practice and do a “cushy” NP job, but I don’t make five year plans so who knows! Heck, who am I kidding? I don’t even make one month plans.   


Favorite food:   
Lasagna. I can’t resist the cheesy, saucy goodness. But quite honestly, it’s harder to find a food that I don’t like.

Three things that make you terribly happy:

1.
Trees, my favorite things of all creation. I find weeping willows to be exceptionally romantic.  2. Adventure. Surprise me, take me on a trip, dare me to jump off a bridge, if it’s adventurous, I can’t say no. 3. Art in all forms: poetry, dance, painting, photography, music, sculpture, story-telling. I love it all. 

Best advice you've ever received:
 My mom once told me, in regards to relationships, “if you’re spending more time questioning it than enjoying it, it’s probably not right.”  

Favorite quote:  
“I know what I want, I have a goal, an opinion; I have a religion and love. Let me be myself and then I am satisfied. I know that I’m a woman, a woman with inward strength and plenty of courage. If God lets me live… I shall not remain insignificant. I shall work in the world and for mankind. And I know that first and foremost I shall require courage and cheerfulness” –Anne Frank 

Favorite picture of yourself:  



Book you're currently reading: 
 Biology, Human Physiology, and Readings in Critical Thinking and Reasoning. Ask me again when the semester is over…

1 comments:

CG said...

You're an amazing woman, Carsen- living the life I wish I'd lived at your age! Building up treasures instead of regrets. Press on.