It was one in a long list of one and two liners about myself, in the midst of a lot of talk about how I've decided that, I am, in fact, just fine, as the woman I am.
I'm not sure this post will be helpful to anyone. But I've been studying us women, this week, and I've realized that we have a tendency to rip ourselves apart. I've discovered, in my own life, that it's nothing but destructive - and no one was able to start improving their shortcomings out of the belief that EVERYTHING was wrong with them.
My fabulous shoe-wearing therapist says it's a problem for all of us, across the board.
I thank her for that one, almost every single day.
Last night, one of my very dearest friends told me that I was beautiful, and that "much better men than him" have said so.
I smiled, even before he added, "you didn't need me to tell you that. that was already inside you."
he was right.
This is awkward, for me. And I'm not even sure how I feel pushing the "publish post" button. It's looking awfully orange and daunting.
But I feel it's important, in my own way, to take a small step for womankind.
10 things I like about me (that I used to hate about me):
1. The way I look like an Asian when I laugh, and you can't even see my eyes.
2. The freckle on my left foot, right below my pinkey toe.
3. The birthmark below my right shoulder.
4. The way my mother is my best friend, and I call her about six times a day when the going gets tough.
5. The way that I get wanting something BIGGER to tackle, about four times a day.
6. My passion.
7. To put it delicately, as my friend Afua often does, the way that I'm, "such a bitch." She always qualifies this with the truth that I tell people what I'm really thinking, "and normally it's good."
8. My heart's on my sleeve.
9. I have no idea to pretend I'm feeling a way that I'm not. Can't love you if I don't. Can't be happy if I'm not. Can't pretend to not to be angry.
10. My body - as a whole.
photo via this tumblr.