new years in mendocino

January 5, 2010

My family went to the coast for New Years. I hadn't been to Mendocino since I was a little girl, and it was really fun to go back to the places I remembered. I am trying to finish 9 credits of long distance classes right now on top of trying to move to Long Beach in the next couple weeks, and I'm feeling more than a little overwhelmed. All I want to do is sit and watch episodes of Gossip Girl and drink hot chocolate and eat spicy hummus and chips...but, alas, I have been writing papers (while drinking hot chocolate and eating all the spicy hummus and chips) and cramming for tests.


I know you're not really supposed to do work on vacation, but I got more done this weekend, sitting in a cabin without internet or cell phone service, than I have in weeks. Except for Sunday night, when I tried to go to bed on time and got attacked by a killer bat, and spent the wee hours of the morning hiding beneath my covers while my dad tried to save me with a broom...





all in a day's work. 

















In between study sessions, I got some beach walking and family time in. I know, I know, you were dancing with hot babes on New Years while I was playing guesstures with my grandfather...



....all I can say is that I feel like I learned a lot this weekend - not just from all the paper writing I did, but from sitting on the beach and thinking through the past year, from taking time to just be quiet and listen, from my brothers, from my aunts and uncles and cousins, and from my grandfather, who made us all cry talking about love and caring for other people being the stuff of life.

(You feel a little less cocky about your Vegas trip NOW don't you?)



4 comments:

Ashley said...

Your New Year's sounds like it was wonderful! I'm definitely jealous. I'd take fun times with family at the beach over Vegas any day! And your photography is just beautiful! I'm really glad I found your blog; I love it!

Taylor K said...

Where in Long Beach are you moving? I grew up in Belmont Shore. My whole family is there and I'm aching to move back. :(

Phoenix said...

Lovely pictures...I guess because I didn't go to Vegas I don't feel any less cocky...heh.

Um...you got attacked by a bat? Hello, biggest fear ever, nice to meet you. Did you finally get it free or did the broom send it to another universe?

And a belated happy New Year's to you, Shanley.

Shanley Knox said...

you are all so sweet!

Tay - I already wrote you on your blog, but California Heights - come and go dancing with me, and lets get some snobby coffee together. You need some family time I think. In fact, come to my 21st birthday party in the 22nd! :) Pretty please?

Phoenix - yeah, I'm scarred. Big time. What did you do for new years? I ended up sleeping beside my little (big) brother in the other room and hitting him every time it made a noise.

Ashley - thank you! Your comments are so encouraging! Best of luck in the new years with your fiance, etc.