Mwen pral retounen byento

January 30, 2010

I love Kahlil Gibran's writing.

Last year, it taught me that love is not the cling fest we make it.

He writes, “Love one another, but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.”

To me, that doesn't mean that love doesn't bind you together. Instead, it means that love has a stronger bond than clinging can form, or fighting against change can keep woven together.
 This morning, I told Beta I was leaving.

She had been laughing, but she stopped.

She just stared at me.

I told her I'd be back in two months, and she climbed into my lap and sat there for about a half an hour. She shook her head at everything I offered to do with her. Being a girl, I knew that the best way to get her out of her funk was to get her focused on something pretty. So we painted her nails. After that, she told me she wanted to get her ears pierced, and we had a big laugh fest over me dragging her down the hall to tell daddy. She grabbed onto the bathroom door way - I kept pulling - we both were yelling and laughing. We burst in and accidentally interrupted his phone call - but all he did was laugh.

I want to keep having moments like that, and I wanted to fight leaving today. I wanted to get all riled up and emotional this morning, and get my stomach in knots about having to not see her everyday.

But lately I've been learning to lay down arms - and to stop fighting the things that life brings.

So, instead? She and I are going to learn about that moving love shore Gibran talks about. We're going to figure out how that looks.

We're going to write letters and have phone calls, make visits...

and it's going to be fine.

It just doesn't feel like it when I'm packing to leave for the airport.

But I know it will be.

                                         (photos taken by my brother Ryan)

2 comments:

oaxacaborn said...

every little thing is gonna be alright.

i love you, friend.

kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

this is such an eloquently written post.

you'll see her soon.

kelly