m'ap priye pou ou ayiti!

January 12, 2010


I don't know if you have heard about what happened in Haiti today.

If you haven't, click here. 

I have spent a substantial amount of time flying back and forth to Haiti to work with orphans.

My family was going to adopt a little boy I fell in love with. Now, we are in the process of trying to adopt a little girl.

For now, I watch the news and I see the wreckage. I have news of the children at the orphanage I worked with: they are fine. But no news of my friends. And no news of my boy - he's 5 now, and on the streets with his mom. I watch the wreckage, and I see his face: over and over and over.




In my head, I see his face - and the faces of my friends.

I see baby hands, and I hear laughter.

I feel sweaty bodies on my chest and belly falling asleep.

I see bathtime.

I see chalk on faces.

I see tears.

I see fights over tricycles and I hear balls bouncing.

I see boys I danced with, laughed with, learned from. The boys who told me I was part of their "family," and yelled every time I came back to visit again - "YOU LOVE MY COUNTRY!"

I ache for the children that I love. I ache for my friends.

 I don't know if they're okay.

I can't wait to hear news of them.







What you can do:

You can donate $5 for Haiti relief by texting YELE (Wyclef's Organization) to 501501. 


You can donate $10 to Red Cross by texting HAITI to 90999.


(note - some of my links to "donate here" are not showing up as red - the links are still there, and will appear when you click on the word "here").


donate here to the orphanage i worked with in Port-au-Prince.


Donate here to World Relief, an organization working alongside local churches in Port-au-Prince and the surrounding area to combat AIDS, provide basic healthcare for mothers and infants, protect orphans and at-risk children and improve financial security for vulnerable household.


Donate here to Save the Children, an organization that has worked in Haiti since 1985, primarily in the capital city of Port-au-Prince and the Central Plateau region, providing health, education, protection and food security programs to vulnerable children.


Donate here to Align, the ministry I am going to Africa with. They are planning a relief trip in the next couple of days (I wanna go!!!).


Donate here to Samaritan's Purse, an international Christian relief and development organization. The link I have listed is a direct way to help aid an emergency response to Haiti that will likely include food, drinking water, cooking kits, hygiene kits, and construction materials to build temporary shelters. 


Donate here to Oxfam's trip to help Haiti. Oxfam is an international relief and development organization. 


Donate here to Yele Haiti, a grassroots movement that builds global awareness for Haiti while helping to transform the country through programs in education, sports, the arts and environment. Yéle’s community service programs include food distribution and mobilizing emergency relief. 



Donate here to food for the hungry, located near Port-au-Prince. Among other things, Food for the Hungry works for food access, availability and utilization.


Donate here to Direct Relief International, already shipping containers of medical material aid to hospitals in Port-au-Prince. 


Call 1-800-4UNICEF to make a donation to UNICEF's relief for children in Haiti via their Haiti Earthquake Fund


Donate here to World Vision. I love these words: "World Vision is there.  We are on the ground and are preparing to distribute emergency supplies to those affected by this devastating earthquake.  Even though communication is scarce at this point, there is substantial damage."


Please pray for the people i love.

3 comments:

Chris said...

My heart is very sad....we are praying for Spendy and his mom and all those little ones in need right now.

Phoenix said...

It is at times like this, when we are drowning in our sorrow, that we realize how much we still can offer of ourselves to the rest of the world.

Thanks for this reminder, Shanley. I will keep you and your loved ones in my thoughts and prayers.

Kelsie Lynn said...

This is so interesting. I am looking for a good program to go to Africa with. Sounds like Align Ministries have their trip set for this year. maybe i will go next year? Ive got to soon.

You are doing media work for them? thats really great. That is probably the kind of work I would also feel best doing. Creative stuff also- photography wise.

go you! that will be an amazing trip