Noteworthy #5: Angela Fairfield

December 2, 2009 
 

What is it the most significant thing you feel you have done to make a difference in the lives of other people? there is not a single thing that i have done in my life that has made a difference in the lives of others.  that is to say, it is not me who is making a difference.  honestly, i think the most significant thing that i have done is to surrender to Christ.  and from that surrender my life has been changed, my actions meaningful.  moving to haiti, i suppose, was significant. having my daughter, too.  not giving her up for adoption which some might have pushed for at first.  all those things might be noteworthy, but each decision stems from knowing and loving Jesus Christ.

What motivated your heart?
 again my answer is Christ.  there is no good in me, myself.  He motivates me.  He commanded multiple times in scripture to take care of orphans.  He stirred my heart in that direction.  moving to haiti was a pleasure, a dream come true.  there was nothing remarkable or selfless about it.  if anything, i'd say it was selfish.  i loved being there, being about His work.  i loved the position of "full-time ministry" as we've termed it.  

    what motivated me to keep my daughter?  she's my child.  daily i saw families be ripped apart because the parents could not provide for their children.  i couldn't do that to my own.  she's my child.  

How did it change you?  working at the orphanage stirred a fire in me.  a cry for justice.  if i could, i'd take all the unwanted children myself and care for them.  bearing the burden of time wore me out.  time those children are sitting in an orphanage just waiting for someone to sign one more paper so they can get home.  my heart cries out that i want to go down to IBESR (haitian social services) or MOI (ministry of the interior) and sign each file myself.  i could get those children out of there in 4 weeks.  
      i was also changed because while i am begging for action to be taken on behalf of the children, the Lord reminds me that His   timing is perfect.  that He loves those children even more than i do.  that He is always in control, and that i need to trust in Him and be at peace.

What is your favorite quote?  i have no favorite quote to speak of.  a number of verses come to mind.  i am always put in my place by reading 1 corinthians 4:7 which reads, "and what do you have that you did not receive?  but if you did receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?"  i need to remember that everything i have comes from the Lord.  and i'm not talking about mere possessions.  my family, my health, my home, my education, my freedom (such as it is), my friends, my country.  i have not earned these things, nor have i purchased them.  they were given graciously by the Lord. 

Favorite picture you have taken:


Favorite picture of yourself:  


If you have a cause you're passionate about, what can people do to help?  there are so many excellent organizations out there, it's hard to choose a single cause.  i would however, like to give new life to the children as much publicity as i can.  this is a haitian-run organization working hard to live out james 1:27 on a daily basis.  they've paired widows with orphans and can be supported for clean water, food, schooling and medical attention for a simple $40 each month.  that's less than most people spend on lattes. it's sad that they do not have a website; it makes it difficult to promote them in any way.  check them out here: http://imaginethistv.ning.com/group/newlifetothechildren