Featured Local Artist: 26PM

November 21, 2009


 Next up on the local artist roll is 26PM, otherwise known as Josiah Munsey: designer,  illustrator and husband to freelance writer Gina Munsey...who I happen to have a bit of a girl crush on.


 I sent Josiah some questions last week, and he was kind enough to take some time out of his days as a newly married, recently-relocated-to-California freelancer with a snowboarding agenda for a featured interview on Thoughts from S:

Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?

I grew up in northern California and I have been drawing since my memory started working. My Mom says I never wanted to obey the art rules even as a child. I had to color the duck blue, not yellow like the instructions said. I started creating moody 3D environments in high school and would hide in my room for hours perfecting strange 3D contraptions and foggy landscapes. I went to Chico State and interacted with a lot of different artists creating in an infinite number of different styles. This was an amazing experience and I learned to loosen up my style a lot and steer away only creating “perfect” artwork. The last few years I have been creating stencil art and creatures on my free time. Now I am working as a freelance illustrator and designer full time.

Describe your work?


I love to create imaginative scenes and environments. I want to bring the viewer something they will never see in real life, something odd, surreal, or other worldly. Since most of my images come purely from my imagination, it works naturally to create in this style.






Where do you most often find inspiration?

I find a huge amount of inspiration in music. I often see visuals that flow with the music of amazing songs. Some bands that have inspired me are MUSE, Radiohead, Band of Horses, Helio Sequence, My Morning Jacket and Mason Jennings.  I also find a lot of inspiration in nature. There is something about being out in the fresh air that gives me fresh ideas. Nature is so full of color, amazing lighting, intense detail and patterns, and naturally epic environments.

Who are some of the artists that have inspired you?


Matt W. Moore has amazingly colorful and electric designs. http://mwmgraphics.blogspot.com/
And
Dmitry Maximov creates some fascinating images with photo environments and hand drawn characters. http://www.designeroof.com/dmitry-maximovs-invaded-by-little-aliens/ On a daily basis I am inspired by a large number of artist and designers featured at abduzeedo.com.  

How do you typically begin a design?


Almost all of my images originally come from the mists of my mind, so I quickly sketch them on paper before they are lost from my memory. I start with very simple shapes and color until the piece has the feel I want and then I start adding tons of detail. Lately I have been scanning a lot of hand drawn sketches and using them as a template to start my images.
 
What brings you to Nor Cal, and has being here inspired you in any unique ways?


My wife and I absolutely love northern California and pretty much moved here to be close to family and to enjoy the beautiful California weather and scenery. I can’t wait to bust out the snowboard SOON. The leaves turning color right now are particularly inspiring along with the clear stars and moon on these crisp cold nights.

What have you done with design thus far?


I am currently creating a slew of furry characters combined with dream like environments. I am also creating images loaded with intensely curvy textures and designs to give the artworks hyper detail unique to me. 



Where do you see yourself headed?


I see myself creating illustrations for magazines, branding, fine art, and snowboard and skateboard graphics. I also hope to create more artwork for the indie music scene and break into the amazingly colorful world of designer characters. I currently have a toy design in the development stages.
Where can your work be found?


http://26pm.wordpress.com/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/josiah_munsey/

Favorite photo of yourself?


                      (all art via 26PM - in the photo above, Munsey is wearing camo).

1 comments:

oaxacaborn said...

Mmmmm, I love that HOPE piece. So good.