confession:

November 19, 2009

"This coffee falls into your stomach, and straightway there is a general commotion. Ideas begin to move like the battalions of the Grand Army of the battlefield, and the battle takes place. Things remembered arrive at full gallop, ensuing to the wind. The light cavalry of comparisons deliver a magnificent deploying charge, the artillery of logic hurry up with their train and ammunition, the shafts of with start up like sharpshooters. Similes arise, the paper is covered with ink; for the struggle commences and is concluded with torrents of black water, just as a battle with powder." ~Honore de Balzac, "The Pleasures and Pains of Coffee"





...I am an absolute coffee snob.

Of the worst kind.

I hate starbucks, and I like every single cup I drink to be from the french press, or I scowl.

Sometimes, on dates? The people I'm out with look at me funny when they ask if I want a cup of coffee, and I list off the only acceptable places to go.

And, I often get caught up explaining the various qualities of an excellent cup of coffee, and lose listeners - but don't notice.

It's a bit out of control.

I even look back on my ex boyfriends, and truly, actually and honestly think secret thoughts like, "well, he drank gas station coffee. He wasn't that great, when I really think about it."

It's probably not going to get any better any time soon...
No, I am not joking.

(photos mine)

4 comments:

oaxacaborn said...

"he drank gas station coffee"...HAHAHHAHA!!!!!

Jamie said...

Hey uncle Jim drinks gas station coffee. Lizard Breath does too - and she even drops in some hot cocoa - making it a mocha. They's high class.

angela said...

don't get me started, sister.

Chuck Wilson said...

When I was in Amarillo, on my way back from Oklahoma, at 1:00 am, a gas station lady let me fill my entire thermos for $1.50.