Small town USA

September 16, 2009

If you are any kind of country music fan (which I most certainly am), I know you've heard the Justin Moore song "Small Town USA."
A lot of people called it prison when I was growin up

But these are my roots and this is what I love
Cause everybody knows me and I know them
And I believe that's the way we were supposed to live
Wouldn't trade one single day here in small town USA
This song holds a special place in my heart because I spent my high school years in Deposit, NY, where I dated the cutest little lineman you've ever met (still dating him)!

It was there that I learned how to drive a stick laughing in the dark, had my first kiss in a little one screen movie theatre, shot clay pigeons (almost shot my poor friend Josh!) and bounced around in my sweet boyfriend's little green truck with a plywood bed.

It was there that I learned new and exciting vocabulary. For instance: the phrase "something fierce" can describe just about anything that you might normally use words like "a lot," "really" and "very" for. As in, "my shoulder hurt sumthing furce," instead of "my shoulder hurt a lot" and....well, you get the picture.
I learned a lot in that baby little New York town that I loved and hated, laughed and cried about all in one big highschool mess.
I learned that the small things matter, and sometimes they matter more than the big things you were looking for. I thought my heart would be fuller in places like Washington D.C., like L.A, like Long Beach. I wanted events to dress up for, and parties to feel nervous about, big places to go and important stories to tackle - and I got those things. And they made me happy...but they didn't stand alone.
When I came home I also got things like sitting on the porch drinking coffee with gramps while he smokes his cigars, things like writing for our local newspaper about the people who gave money for my cousin's bone marrow transplant, things like getting Coors light spilt all over my foot when my sweet boyfriend leaned in for a big kiss in the middle of a muddy "Lumberjack festival" clam and beer tent because he was kissing me in front of all his friends... things like my highschool brother not being too cool to give my cheek a big smack and tells me he loves me before he goes to bed at night.
Really, it was those things that my heart needed all along...maybe minus the beer spill. But you get what I'm saying...
I'm happy to be back where you know your neighbor.
                                                                         (photos mine)

1 comments:

angela said...

my heart exactly. but never coors. ew.