Angela is You-You

September 8, 2009



I got the travel bug at the end of Freshman year. After transferring mid-year from community college to The Master's College, better known as a hillside in Newhall, I had the bug and I had it bad.

I called my mother and told her I was going to spend the summer in Haiti, got on a plane a few weeks later, and "oohed" and "aahed" my window-seated way into Port-au-Prince, where I was picked up with a medical group and taken to a small orphanage on a side street in Delmas.

It would be fair to say that I mostly had no idea what I was getting into.

A thousand sticky fingers later, I had paint on my favorite shorts, braids in my hair, was getting over needing to change every time I got peed on and had about 40 new friends under the age of 5.

Angela introduced herself to me, and about 20 other hot and confused people, as the house manager at this orphange (Three Angels Children's Relief). She was wearing camo shorts, converse and yelled in Haitian Kreyole in such an impressive voice that I decided I would leave Haiti talking like her, if nothing else (probably why my boyfriend commonly asks me why I am so loud!?).

More commonly known as You-You, Angela quickly became my new hero, and my time with her taught me worlds about loving people and giving my life to others. I cried like a baby when I had to leave her and the children I had fallen in love with.

Around the time I took my third trip to Haiti, You-You was leaving Haiti to move to Yosemite have her own child, after taking care of everyone else's. Since then, I've seen a lot more of her - which makes me very happy.

She came to see me this weekend, and made me laugh and feel jealous of the way she talks, yet again. As we talked, I found out that she is just beginning to create greeting cards from her photography, which many have said captures the heart of Haiti in a unique way.

On her last trip home to Haiti, Angela put together the collage below.



She is beginning to put her work here.
Her photography is here.

(both photos from Angela Fairfield)

0 comments: